Cyber security threats and trends are constantly evolving as technology continues to advance at an alarming pace. As such, it’s imperative for organizations to assess their data protection practices regularly and make achievable cyber security resolutions to help protect themselves from costly breaches:
- Provide security training — Even the most robust data protection solutions can be compromised should an employee click a malicious link or download fraudulent software. It’s crucial for organizations to thoroughly train personnel on prevailing cyber threats and how to respond. Your employees should also know your cyber security policies and know how to report suspicious activity.
- Install strong antivirus software and keep it updated — Outside of training your employees on the dangers of poor cyber security practices, strong antivirus software is one of the best ways to protect your data. Organizations should conduct thorough research to choose software that’s best suited for their needs. Once installed, antivirus programs should be kept up to date.
- Instill safe web browsing practices — Deceptive and malicious websites can easily infect your network, often leading to more serious cyber attacks. To protect your organization, employees should be trained on proper web usage and instructed to only interact with secured websites. For further protection, companies should consider blocking known threats and potentially malicious web pages outright.
- Create strong password policies — Ongoing password management can help prevent unauthorized attackers from compromising your organization’s password-protected information. You’ll want to create a password policy that requires employees to change their password on a regular basis, avoid using the same password for multiple accounts and use special characters in their password.
- Get vulnerability assessments — The best way to evaluate your company’s data exposures is through a vulnerability assessment. Using a system of simulated attacks and stress tests, vulnerability assessments can help you uncover entry points into your system. Following these tests, security experts can compile their findings and provide recommendations for improving network and data safety.
This article is for informational purposes only and is not intended as professional or legal advice.
© 2019 Rayner Agencies Ltd. All rights reserved.